Should i have been given an order on back child support

Asked on Jan 11th, 2019 on Family Law - Texas
More details to this question:
I have an order in 2015 for support , which i pay i am up to date with my payments, this month i recived a letter i owe 12k in back child support including almost 4k in interest. I had no idea of this order, and if i had known i would have payed month to month or it should have been deducted from my paychecks. Now im scared i will go to jail because i cannot pay that amount upfront and im paying my normal payments. How is this legal to tack on so much interest on something that never existed, i didnt even have my rights for a year of that time, and another year i was denied visitation. They knew where i lived so why wouldnt they have sent me anything so i wouldnt have been so behind.
Report Abuse
no peer reviews
no client reviews
Answered on Feb 01st, 2019 at 1:25 PM
Were you at the hearing when the child support order or modification was entered? It appears that you accrued arrears at that time. Most likely, the AG has an income withholding order to take out an additional amount each month for the arrears. You should contact the AG to verify whether that is true.

--- The Overstreet Law Firm 2100 N. Main, Suite 228 Fort Worth, TX 76164 Phone: 817-810-9747 Email: [email protected]

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters