My husband is considering divorce.

Asked on Feb 25th, 2019 on Family Law - Virginia
More details to this question:
My husband and I have been married for 8 years and we have 3 children. Their ages are 9 years old and two 2 year olds. I have been a stay at home mom for the entire marriage so I do not have my own income. Would I be entitled to child support and spousal support? He has offered for me to keep all the money we have in our savings account. He just does not want me to ask for any support for the children or myself. He has also stated that the children would live with me full time and I agree with that. Also how would I be able to pay my attorney fees?
Report Abuse
Answered on Mar 11th, 2019 at 11:09 AM
Your question cannot be answered in this forum. offers general information, not legal advice.  Legal advice is based on the specific facts in your case, as applicable to the governing law.  If you are contemplating a divorce, I suggest that you arrange to meet with an experienced family lawyer in your area to discuss all of these issues in greater details. The question of whether you are entitled to child and or spousal support will depend on the facts in your case.  If you have shared custody or split custody, that will impact the support amount. If there are fault grounds that may impact spousal support. How much money is in the savings account? If there are 3 children, I cannot imagine any set of circumstances in which he would be relieved of his support obligations for three children by simply offering you the money in the savings account, unless we are looking at a sizeable savings account that is sufficient to support three children until they reach the age of majority.  In order to protect your interest, I suggest that you contact a family lawyer in your area.  You need to be prepared to pay the consultation fee, which is usually calculated based on a lawyer's hourly rate. Make sure you work out the payment details in advance to void any misunderstandings.  Best of luck~

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters