My divorce was finalized in the state of New York in 1993. Want to transfer my QDRO to Fl to amend it how hard is it to doThank You

Asked on Feb 28th, 2019 on Family Law - Florida
More details to this question:
Ex-wife does not need the money anymore so she would give me the rest of my pension back
Report Abuse
Answered on Mar 14th, 2019 at 11:17 AM
Dear Anonymous:     You would not be transferring the QDRO to Florida. YOu would need an order to vacate the QDRO and then ensure that it was sent to the plan administrator of your retirement account. If your ex wife and you are in agreement that she no longer wants your retirement money, it is probably easier to  contact a New York attorney and see if an agreed order to vacate the QDRO can be submitted to the Court that granted your divorce.   Even if you do not live in New York anymore, if you have an agreement to vacate the QDRO, then it does not make sense to transfer the case to Florida, as that involves more time and money.   If your ex wife will not agree, in writing, to waive her interest in the QDRO by vacating the order, and you have to actually litigate, then it might make sense to transfer the case.  It is not "hard" to do, but it also depends on whether your ex wife lives in Florida too.  Jurisdiction (where a case should be heard) is a bit tricky and requires information about  both parties, so if the above does not answer the questions, then you should probably contact an attorney to discuss the actual facts and details. Best of luck, Cindy S. Vova Law Offices of Cindy S. Vova, P.A. Broward/Boca Raton 954-316-3496/561-962-2785

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters