If my 16yr step daughter attacks me as she did her mother, is it legal in Texas to restrain by rendering unconscious via pressure applied to the neck?

Asked on Mar 09th, 2019 on Family Law - Texas
Mother is an enabler as her mother was when she was physically abused by her father as a child and therefore her daughter is completely disrespectful to the point of violence whenever discipline is attempted.
Answered on Mar 11th, 2019 at 3:00 PM
It is illegal (a felony) to choke someone. It would be difficult to argue that type of "restraint" is self-defense. It would be better not to attempt to physically discipline a 16 year old. If things escalate, it would be better to remove yourself from the situation. More than likely any adult dealing with the child would be found liable for any injuries to the child.

--- The Overstreet Law Firm 2100 N. Main, Suite 228 Fort Worth, TX 76164 Phone: 817-810-9747 Email: [email protected] https://www.theoverstreetlawfirm.com/