I want to pursue a divorce.. Have been separated 14 yrs.. asking for nothing. What would this cost & how long would it take? I'd like it done asap.

Asked on Mar 04th, 2019 on Family Law - Florida
We were married 09/19/1998 in Las Vegas. I left a couple of times because of abusive situations and finally left in May, 2005 because of infidelity. I would like to get a divorce a.s.a.p. I became a U.S. resident when we married and may return to Canada following the divorce. I am asking for nothing from him but the divorce. How much can I expect this to cost and how long does it generally take for a divorce where no children are involved and nothing is being sought but agreement?
Answered on Mar 14th, 2019 at 11:08 AM
Dear Anonymous:    I am going to assume that you cannot get your husband to cooperate.  If you could, you could file an uncontested divorce, but both of you would have to sign the divorce papers together...and perhaps not even need an attorney!   But, if that is not a possibility, and you know where he lives (because divorce papers have to be served on him), and you anticipate that he is not going to want anything from you, and it becomes effectively "uncontested" then it should be a relatively simple process.  That said, the filing fee (paid to the court not the attorney) is over $400, and serving him with the papers usually costs (again to a process server, not the attorney) between $50 and $100.   After that,  the fees will depend if it goes smoothly and who you hire as an attorney.    Remember, you get what you pay for.  It could range from $1000 if it goes as set forth above (smoothly) to $2500.00- as an estimate.  It may be more or less depending on the county where you live.   As to the time it will take, again this is a range and it could be more or less, but I would anticipate from 3 to 6 months.   Best of luck to you, Cindy S. Vova Law Offices of Cindy S. Vova, P.A. Broward/Boca Raton 954-316-3496/561-962-2785