I need help to eliminate permanent alimony. Divorce was in 2008. Married over 20 years.

Asked on Mar 10th, 2019 on Family Law - New Jersey
More details to this question:
My ex is doing better than I am financially at this time. During divorce she claimed this isn’t possible. She owns 1 property with prior boy friend out of state. Our house is in her name but not recognized by court. House was to be sold after youngest finished school. I live pay check to pay check, have no savings.
Report Abuse
Answered on Mar 12th, 2019 at 7:07 AM
Thank you for your question.  I can imagine how difficult it must be to constantly struggle financially while your ex-wife seems to be doing better than you.  It is certainly possible to have your alimony obligation reevaluated.  It sounds like you would qualify for the standard which is changed circumstances.  It is imperative that you consult with a family law attorney experienced in post judgment issues to discuss the specifics of your case and review your financials so that you can make a motion as soon as possible.  Keep in mind that your award will be recalculated only as of the date you file the motion so it is extremely important to do so without delay!

The information we provide is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. These answers are designed for general information only. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your specific situation. Our website,, will provide you with a wealth of valuable information in addition to the best way to contact us.

Report Abuse
Answered on Mar 11th, 2019 at 5:29 AM
You need to a motion for changed circumstances, to either eliminate or reduce alimony. Depending on the facts, they can be successful. Edward Zohn, Attorney at Law, 908.791.0312.

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters