I am ordered to pay half of wife’s attorney feesI do not have the money now. What can happen?

Asked on Feb 15th, 2019 on Family Law - Texas
More details to this question:
Wife filed for divorce after 6 weeks of marriage. Lived with me for 6 months prior to wedding. I was ordered to pay 1500.00 in attorney fees. I lost my job and do not have the money. What if i dont pay?
Report Abuse
Answered on Feb 18th, 2019 at 9:11 AM
If you do not pay, the lawyer has the right to enforce the attorney's fee order and could take a judgment against you if you fail to pay.  A judgment may be picked up by the credit reporting agencies and result in it being listed as a negative on your credit history. Judgments also may also be filed in the records of any county where you own property and results in a judgment lien against your property.  I suggest that you speak with the attorney and try to work out a payment plan to pay in installments.  The attorney will probably not want to give you a long period of time to pay the installments, but they may be willing to work with you. 

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters