How do I set up child visitation and custody?

Asked on May 10th, 2011 on Child Custody - California
I am a 30 year old male who became a father 3 days ago. My ex-girlfriend lives 30 miles away from me. I would like to know how to set up child support and have visitation.
5.0/5.0
Answered on May 13th, 2011 at 11:19 AM
First, you can negotiate with the mother both things, set them down in writing and ask a judge to "so Order" it. Or go to Family Court and submit a Petition for both. Good luck and congratulations.

Answered on May 11th, 2011 at 12:06 PM
In Washington State, you should commence a paternity action.

Answered on May 11th, 2011 at 11:44 AM
Petition the court for a parentage action which sets up visitation and child support. Good luck.

Michael V. Fancher
  • 4.4/5.0
  • 100%
  • 1
4.4/5.0
Answered on May 11th, 2011 at 11:07 AM
In Washington, you would file a petition either to establish paternity or to establish a parenting plan (and child support).

Answered on May 11th, 2011 at 10:42 AM
If you aren't married, then the first step is to file a Petition to Establish a Parental Relationship, followed by a motion to establish custody and visitation (if she will not agree to an order). If you are in my area and are looking for an attorney, please contact me for a free consultation.

Answered on May 11th, 2011 at 10:33 AM
This is more common than you might think. The court has a procedure for this type of situation and I have handled hundreds of cases like this in the past. Call my office to talk or to schedule a time to talk.

• 4.4/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
4.4/5.0
Answered on May 11th, 2011 at 10:32 AM
You need to consult an attorney about starting a paternity case in which you can obtain a specific parenting plan, including appropriate child support, that will be binding and enforceable. Even if the mother is agreeable to something now, you can count on the fact that any informal understandings won't last the next 18 years. That is why it is best for everyone involved to get things decided legally in a court case now.

Answered on May 11th, 2011 at 10:20 AM
You need to file a Paternity action and an Order to Show Cause, if you have not done so already (it appears that you were never married to the child's mother).You will be able to obtain orders pertaining to visitation and custody. You and the child's mother will be sent to Mediation, where you can try to hammer out a visitation and holiday schedule. You should consult an experienced, local Family Law Attorney.