Will I face jail time if I was caught shoplifting about 2 years ago but the store did not prosecute?

Asked on Aug 06th, 2017 on Criminal Law - California
I did a diversion program and it was supposed to be removed from my record. I recently got caught again and I’m so scared because this time, I actually have court and I don't want to face jail time. I'm a single mom of 2 kids. I know I shouldn't have been stealing in the first place and I’m not only ashamed but regretful. I don't know what to do. I can't afford an attorney and I can't even sleep thinking of what I've done and the possibility of going to jail. I did contact a lawyer and he said he highly doubt I'd receive jail time, maybe probation and/or a fine.
Jeff Fengcheng Yeh
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Oct 18th, 2017 at 4:57 AM
Instead of worrying about the jail time, you need to focus your attention on how you can avoid being convicted. Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted it will really hurt your school/employment aspirations. You should talk to a lawyer, who may be able to work out a deal with the Judge whereby you can earn yourself another dismissal.