What will happen if I lied about everything I said to the cop?

Asked on Nov 28th, 2016 on Criminal Law - California
My boyfriend and I got into an argument. I was mad at him because he was cheating on me. We were yelling at each other and he was on drugs. I called the cops and told him he tried to hit me and so much more. His charges are, assault with a deadly weapon, false imprisonment, controlled substance, spells abuse and threats.
Answered on Jan 11th, 2017 at 9:39 AM
To coin an old phrase: "Oh, what a tangled web we weave. When first we practice to deceive". Both you and your boyfriend are in need of separate attorneys to represent you. Your boyfriend is looking at minimum of 16 months to 3 years in state prison based on those charges and most likely a lot more. You could receive a county jail sentence of up to 1 year for filing a false police report which is a misdemeanor. Good luck.

Jeff Fengcheng Yeh
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jan 11th, 2017 at 9:38 AM
Nothing you can do. It's out of your hands. Prosecutors will never drop charges just because the victim has had a change of heart/story. The fact is, in 95% of all DV cases the parties reconcile, and prosecutors are well aware of this. He needs a good lawyer.