What will happen if I am 17 and have a vc 23222?

Asked on May 15th, 2011 on Criminal Law - California
It was me and two other friends just sitting in my car. We were not even smoking at the time when the cops pulled up on us for apparently no reason, and started questioning us and searched us. What will happen?
  • 5.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on May 19th, 2011 at 11:31 AM
You face criminal charges. No attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, evidence, reports, testimony, priors history, etc. However, effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail, or at least dramatically reduce it, depending upon all the facts. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion program, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on May 19th, 2011 at 11:01 AM
For the search to be legal the police need probable cause to think you have illegal items on you. Knowing if a search is legal will take an attorney The case law in this area is sometimes unclear. Call me and we can go over your facts an determine the best course of action for you.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 11:46 AM
The most serious consequence for possession of marijuana in a vehicle is the loss of your drivers license for 1 year if you are convicted. Such convictions are avoidable. Your best chance of doing so is to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to negotiate a settlement of the case that does not result in a conviction on your record. Good luck.

Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 11:44 AM
If you have a medical recommendation you are fine. If you don't have one why are you dumb enough to smoke in the car?

• 4.5/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on May 18th, 2011 at 11:29 AM
There can be a number of things that can happen. Since you are under 18 there are many options the court can pursue. It would be a good idea to contact an attorney.