What will happen after warrant was issued for a burglar charge?

Asked on Apr 08th, 2011 on Criminal Law - California
I got a warrant issued in 2009. I did not know about it until today. I am getting charged for first degree and second degree. I was with a person who got caught stealing at kmart, so I was counted as stealing too, so I got fined.
  • 5.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Apr 11th, 2011 at 2:27 PM
For you to handle this, you must turn yourself into the court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a plea bargain on the warrant and any outstanding charges. Doing so voluntarily will result in a better outcome than you being brought in cuffs to court after arrest on the warrant. That will happen if you come in contact with law enforcement or customs anywhere in the US. If this is a felony [likely], the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. If this is a misdemeanor, the attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present, and any plea bargain deal could be handled by notarized paperwork. Any fines could be paid by mail. Jail time, if any, would create an obvious problem requiring the defendants presence. You face potential jail or prison time for a burglary, so handle it right. Your attorneys goal will be to get it at leased reduced to a misdemeanor. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can. If this is in SoCal courts, and you're serious about getting legal help doing so, feel free to contact me.

Jeff Fengcheng Yeh
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Apr 11th, 2011 at 10:48 AM
There is a bail set, and if you are picked up you will have to pay the bail in order to be out. Unless a lawyer goes to court for you, recalls the warrant (which negates the bail) and deals with the open case.

Answered on Apr 11th, 2011 at 10:41 AM
You have not provided your current status so I will provide provisional information. If you have not yet been arrested on the 2009 warrant seek legal advice immediately, and try to negotiate a dismissal (witnesses may no longer be avail., etc.), or a surrender in Court & have a Bail bondsman standing by so you can remain out of custody. But you say you were "fined?" Were you ever in Court re this matter? Are you actually on probation, and now facing a violation of probation? Depending on your answers you have several options. Get a good, experienced Attorney.

Answered on Apr 11th, 2011 at 10:40 AM
Warrants dont go away. You will need to make arrangements to turn yourself in on the warrant at some point. You can turn yourself in with the police, but I dont recommend that. The best way is to have an attorney schedule a date for you in court, and to have a bail bondsman ready to bail you out right after the appearance. The bond can be posted in court while youre standing there so you dont have to go to jail. Your case sounds like a good one, although I cant imagine why youd be charged with first degree burglary for a K-Mart 1st Burg is for residences.

• 4.5/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Apr 11th, 2011 at 10:32 AM
Well the warrant will remain until you appear in court to have it recalled. This is a case where you should hire an attorney to assist you.

Answered on Apr 11th, 2011 at 10:27 AM
I have no idea why you would face first degree burglary charges from a theft in Kmart. First degree is residential burglary. There isn't enough information in your question to answer this, but the bottom line is - you need a criminal defense attorney.

Answered on Apr 11th, 2011 at 10:20 AM
You should immediately contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you 1) get the warrant recalled and 2) represent you on the burglary case. As long as the warrant is active, you run the risk of being arrested on it. As such, you should act fast. Do not attempt to have the warrant recalled on your own as this could very easily result in you being taken into custody. Almost all criminal defense attorneys offer Free Case Evaluations so you have nothing to lose by talking to one or two and see what they can do for you. I hope this answer was helpful. If you would like to discuss your case in more detail, I would be happy to do so. Good luck.