What can I do if my ex called and wrote my work saying I was stealing?

Asked on Feb 08th, 2014 on Criminal Law - Colorado
More details to this question:
My ex wrote my work and sent false pictures of an item we carry telling HR that I stole the items for him. Security watched me undercover for a week. I did get reprimanded for taking unauthorized smoke breaks and not clocking out for lunch. But I feel he damaged my reputation and a chance at a promotion coming up. Do I have a case? HR did believe me because I showed them text messages from him threatening to get me fired at any cost.
Answered on Feb 13th, 2014 at 4:55 PM
Sue who? Security? Your ex-wife started all the shit. Why are you not suing her? Because she does not have shit. It is not about your reputation, it is about what you think is free money. Jury is not giving you any money under these facts, but you can spend your $ 5000 retainer with an attorney and file a lawsuit.

Report Abuse
Michael J. Breczinski
Partner at
  • 3.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
no client reviews
CV Notable
Answered on Feb 13th, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Yes you have a case for libel and slander.

Report Abuse
no peer reviews
no client reviews
Answered on Feb 13th, 2014 at 5:10 AM
I suggest you talk to a personal injury attorney this is more defamation or slander than anything criminal at this stand point if he gets creepy and threatening in a physical fashion, talk to a crisis center and get a restraining order. You can ask law enforcement to tell him to quit texting/calling your phone without getting a restraining order and then if he does either of the above you can file telephonic harassment charges.

Report Abuse
Answered on Feb 13th, 2014 at 5:09 AM
Defamation is actionable in civil court, but only if there are damages - until you get passed up for promotion, no damages - even then, it would be hard to prove BUT - you can apply for and likely get a Permanent Restraining Order from the courts - then if he does something like this again, you can put criminal charges on him.

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters