What can I do if I lost my job over ten dollars I was arrested and charged with theft?

Asked on Feb 12th, 2013 on Criminal Law - California
I found ten dollars on the floor at my job, asked around no one claimed it so I put it on my pocket. Come to find out the money was mark. I was arrested and not read my right and was charged this theft by taken. Once I was released, they gave me back the ten bucks.
Answered on Feb 18th, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Get another job. Your job set you up, and you failed the test. Your job need not read you Miranda rights.

Answered on Feb 18th, 2013 at 7:25 PM
You should retain a good lawyer and tell him the truth about what happened. Your story does not make sense as it does not appear to be a crime.

Answered on Feb 18th, 2013 at 7:05 PM
Did they file charges or just dismiss the matter? If they gave you the money back, that would indicate to me they weren't pursuing charges as I would think they would keep the money as evidence. The police do not have to read you your rights everytime you are arrest; only when you are in police custody (i.e. not free to leave) and they wish to interrogate you or ask you incriminating questions. If you have been charged, you need to speak with an experienced criminal attorney in your area about your case for a more specific evaluation.

MB
Michael J. Breczinski
  • 3.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
3.0/5.0
CV Notable
Answered on Feb 17th, 2013 at 11:45 PM
You don't have any recourse against the store unless you get charged with theft by the police. Then you may be able to sue them for slander and false prosecution.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Feb 17th, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I would fight the criminal charge. You did not "intend" to deprive anyone of the $10. As for losing your job, Utah is a right to work state so unless you had a contract, there is not much you can do about that, unfortunately.

Jeff Fengcheng Yeh
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Feb 17th, 2013 at 9:10 PM
You better hire a lawyer soon. Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye.

Answered on Feb 17th, 2013 at 9:06 PM
If you're accused of theft, a local attorney can help you understand your rights, the charges and any possible defenses. It sounds like you should get a private lawyer ASAP to go over all the details of your case and to figure out your options.