What is a bench warrant and what do I do if there is one for me?

Asked on Jan 09th, 2013 on Criminal Law - Michoacán
I missed a court date and now supposedly there's a "bench warrant" out against me. What does this mean and what am I supposed to do now?
Answered on Jan 14th, 2013 at 8:22 PM
It means that there is a warrant out for your arrest. Hire an attorney to make arrangements to turn yourself in before you are picked up by the police.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 6:05 PM
It means you could be arrested any time you encounter a police officer. Many judges will withdraw the bench warrant if you appear in court. If you are at all worried, hire a lawyer to help you get the bench warrant withdrawn.

Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 6:05 PM
You are subject to arrest at any time. Hire an attorney to resolve this matter and review all possible options and resolutions.

Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 9:44 AM
File a motion to quash

Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 3:17 AM
A warrant for your arrest, because you missed court. You will be arrested on the warrant, IF you do not turn yourself in.

5.0/5.0
Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 3:17 AM
If you missed court, there is a warrant for you. You must post a bond or you will be arrested at some point.

Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 3:16 AM
That means you have a warrant for your arrest and you will be taken into custody if the police find you. Failing to appear at a required court appearance is contempt of court, especially if you are the defendant in a criminal charge. In some situations, failing to appear may result in a person forfeiting their bond. You'd get a chance to explain what happened to the judge. They essentially arraign the person on the failing to appear. In some situations, such as medical emergencies, etc., the judge won't impose any additional sanctions.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 3:15 AM
When you miss a court date, the court will issue a bench warrant for your arrest. This warrant allows any law enforcement officer to take you into custody until you are taken to court. Normally you would be in jail for three days. If you have a bench warrant out on you, go to the courthouse that issued the warrant (the one you did not show up to) and ask the clerk to have your case called that day.

MB
Michael J. Breczinski
  • 3.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
3.0/5.0
CV Notable
Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 3:14 AM
It is a warrant that is issued from the bench. You can go to the court and turn yourself in and explain why you missed the date. Take your attorney with you.

Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 3:14 AM
A bench warrant is a warrant for your arrest issued by the Judge in a case. It is usually issued after a failure to appear in court on your case. If a warrant has been issued you need to clear that up. You should contact an attorney in your area for assistance and they will be able to help you clear up the warrant and handle your criminal case.

Jeff Fengcheng Yeh
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 3:14 AM
It's a warrant for your arrest. You should hire a lawyer to recall it. A lawyer can do this without you present in court. That's a lot less risky than you showing up by yourself.

John F. Brennan
  • 5.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
5.0/5.0
Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 3:13 AM
See an attorney. A bench warrant means the Court has ordered your arrest due to the missed court date.