Is medicinal marijuana legal in all states?

Asked on Mar 25th, 2011 on Criminal Law - California
My uncle is a cancer patient and takes medicinal marijuana to help manage his pain. We want to go visit my grandmother and will be driving there. My uncle says it is fine to take his medicinal marijuana with him, but I am worried that it may not be legal in all states and that we could get in trouble for possession if we are caught. Is it okay for us to travel across state borders with his medical marijuana?
Answered on Jun 11th, 2013 at 12:40 AM
No.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jun 11th, 2013 at 12:40 AM
No.

Answered on Aug 31st, 2011 at 10:23 AM
No, it is not legal in all states and each state has their own different rules and laws and regulations regarding marijuana. Consult with an attorney from the jurisdiction before you decide to transport anything.

Answered on Jun 13th, 2011 at 5:15 PM
No, it is not legal in North Carolina to possess any marijuana, medical, recreational or otherwise. There are several states that still view marijuana the way North Carolina does, so it would be illegal for him to possess it in those states.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Apr 04th, 2011 at 9:18 AM
Medical Marijuana IS NOT legal in all states and is a fed ticket to jail.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Mar 28th, 2011 at 10:45 PM
No, medicinal marijuana is only legal in a few select states, most notably California and Colorado.

Answered on Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:22 PM
Only 3 states currently have reciprocal medical marijuana agreements (meaning that they recognize out of state medical marijuana licenses): Montana, Michigan, and Rhode Island. No other states currently recognize out-of-state medical marijuana licenses (not even the other 11 medical marijuana states). Additionally, it is never legal to transport medical marijuana via plane due to federal regulations. Therefore, unless you are traveling directly to Montana, Michigan, or Rhode Island from a current medical marijuana state and not by plane, you will be violating state and federal laws. It is however legal to obtain medical marijuana in a medical marijuana state upon arrival, if arrangements can be made to obtain a license in that state.

Answered on Mar 28th, 2011 at 12:04 PM
The ability to have medicinal marijuana - that is marijuana prescribed by a licensed physician - is dependent upon the laws of each state. You should consult with an attorney in each jurisdiction you will be traveling in. Quantity and prescription requirements may vary in each state.

Answered on Mar 28th, 2011 at 11:30 AM
NO, marijuana is not legal in all states. I understand that there are 14 jurisdictions where marijuana is legalized. However, this is a qualified legalization. The Federal Law still classifies marijuana as a Schedule 1 Controlled Substance, and even in a state where marijuana is "legal" there can be a Federal Proseuction. Should you have a case in Michigan, you may retain my office for a legal matter. I would welcome an opportunity to speack with you concerning your legal issue in Michigan.

Answered on Mar 28th, 2011 at 11:17 AM
You are correct; most states do not allow posession of marijuana for any purpose. You should check on the laws of each state you plan to travel through before you start your trip.

Answered on Mar 28th, 2011 at 11:06 AM
It is not; and the Feds can get you in any state.

Answered on Mar 28th, 2011 at 10:56 AM
Marijuana is still illegal under federal law and each state may or may not have laws regarding medical marijuana. They may or may not recognize a California compassionate use card under their laws. Before risking it, check the laws of Tuesdays where you're traveling.

Answered on Mar 28th, 2011 at 10:08 AM
You should absolutely check with a criminal defense lawyer in the state(s) you will be visiting and/or traveling through. If you are found in possession of marijuana in a state where it is illegal, you will be subject to criminal prosecution. Marijuana is not legal in all states. Even if a person has a valid prescription from one state, other state's are not required to honor that prescription.

Answered on Mar 28th, 2011 at 9:32 AM
It is not legal in all states. Be very careful.

• 4.4/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
4.4/5.0
Answered on Mar 28th, 2011 at 9:16 AM
No. Every state has different criminal laws.

• 5.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Mar 28th, 2011 at 9:07 AM
If what you are asking about is carrying NO form of certificate for use, then you are simply violating the law, no matter where you are. If what you are asking about is the common medical marijuana certificate that users go and buy for $40 or $50 from dispensaries and co-ops advertizing in the back of local magazines, then no. California is about the only Politically Correct state blatantly violating federal drug laws by allowing issuance of the delusional medical marijuana certificate. It certainly doesnt apply in any other state, and doesnt even apply in CA against federal drug charges. Now, despite that, there are legitimate federally approved and state certified, doctor authorized medical use certificates. With one of those, he is reasonably safe from arrest, but not guaranteed outside the state of issuance.