I am a candian commercial driver. I was charged with littering in virginia is this a criminal charge?

Asked on Sep 10th, 2017 on Criminal Law - Virginia
While ashing a cigarette out of my window I accidentally dropped the cigarette outside my truck. A police officer who was travelling behind the truck pulled me over and issued a summons to court for littering. The big issue is if convicted of a class 1 misdemeanor I will be barred from entering the US which will cost me my job as admissibility is a condition of employment. what can I do? I am a commercial driver
Answered on Sep 13th, 2017 at 6:25 AM
You are obviously going to want to hire a lawyer to represent you in this, since there is so much at stake.  Your attorney may be able to work something out with the prosecutor so that you can keep your record clean.  This is such a minor charge that it seems likely your lawyer will be able to resolve it.  If not, there may be grounds to fight it at trial.