How do I find a criminal defense attorneyto help with a felony theft case?

Asked on Jun 02nd, 2011 on Criminal Law - Florida
I am looking for an attorney. I have very limited funds, but I do not want a public defender, not because I think less, but they are busy and typically have a heavy case load and wont dedicate the time I need. Are there any recommendations?
Answered on Jul 12th, 2013 at 12:47 AM
I can make some referrals if you tell me what county charges are filed in?

Answered on Jul 12th, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Where did the alleged offense take place?? We are located in South Florida (Broward, Palm Beach).

Answered on Jul 12th, 2013 at 12:44 AM
What state are you in?

Answered on Jun 07th, 2011 at 12:20 PM
You may wish to consult a legal internet search site such as Findlaw.com. This will give you a listing of attorneys who advertise and who handle the trpe of case you have. Another thought is an association like CDAM. (Criminal Defense Attorneys, Michigan). There have many high powered attorneys who can handle a criminal case. You may also wish to consult your local bar association. They often maintain a list of attorneys who practice in certain areas of law. Finally, dont forget the old fashioned Yellow Pages. There are often attorneys there who are listed. However, the best source of information is often from other attorneys. In each community, attorneys who practice there know who the attorneys are who handle the type of case you have. If they can get past saying that they will take your case, they can often tell you which attorneys are the most reliable. Once you get an attorney's name, take a look at their web site. Do they do everything? If so, that's not a good sign. Look for an attorney who does what you are looking for. The shot-gun advertisement often results in an attorney who may refer your type of case out. I hope that this was helpful.

Answered on Jun 07th, 2011 at 11:29 AM
You should look for an attorney in the county where you have court who has sufficient experience and knowledge of the local judges and prosecutor's office. many private attorneys take payments so you can ask about that. It truly depends on how complicated your case is how much an attorney will charge.

• 1.6/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Jun 06th, 2011 at 2:45 PM
That is a tall order. Sometimes you can get a new attorney to take on a case for a reduced rate, but a new attorney has no business taking on a felony case. About the best you can hope for is to get is an experienced attorney who will take payments. Good Luck.

• 5.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Jun 06th, 2011 at 2:38 PM
How? Interview them until you find one you are comfortable with and trust. However, with limited funds you are not likely to find an experienced attorney, unless all you want to do is strike a quick plea bargain. Before wasting their time and yours in free consultation, explain up front your financial status and case goals. Felony defense at trial costs in the tens of thousands of dollars generally. Our taxes pay for the Public Defender for those who cant afford private counsel. Request one at your first court hearing if you qualify. With all that said, if serious about hiring counsel, feel free to contact me.

Answered on Jun 06th, 2011 at 2:18 PM
Our office does al la carte billing. In other words, our fee is predicated on the service or services you want. The less service you want, the less you will pay. If you want to fight the charges through trial, want us to do discovery, motions and pre-trial hearings, then it will be very expensive. If all you want us to do is accept the best offer then it will be cheap. It really depends on the level of service you want.

5.0/5.0
Answered on Jun 06th, 2011 at 2:16 PM
Yes, one of the best ways is to do exactly what you're already doing. Scan all the profiles of attorneys on Avvo.com and other similar sites to see who is located near you and who has the best profile credentials. Then call them and talk on the phone with them and if like what you hear, go see them and discuss fees with them. Many fine attorneys will accept cases and negotiate payments over a period of time to assist you. Good luck.

Answered on Jun 06th, 2011 at 1:59 PM
If you want a specific referral, I need to know where you are. In general, you should be able to find an attorney that will allow monthly payments, or one that accepts credit cards.

Answered on Jun 06th, 2011 at 12:12 PM
The specific details of your case and the charges against you should determine which attorneys to look for. Our firm handles a large number of criminal defense cases in Louisiana. If you are interested in seeking legal representation in this matter, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.

Answered on Jun 06th, 2011 at 10:52 AM
It depends on your location, I handle felony cases in Cabarrus, Mecklenburg, Gaston and Union Counties, I would be glad to discuss your case with you.

Eric Michael Mark
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jun 06th, 2011 at 9:29 AM
The only way is to call and ask. If you are in New Jersey, give me a call.

Answered on Jun 06th, 2011 at 9:05 AM
You can contact various attorneys who specialize in criminal law and ask what their charges would be to represent you. Some attorneys, myself included, have worked out payment plans with clients to assist them in paying their attorney bill. However, remember, an attorney went to school to learn his trade and the way he/she makes a living is by providing legal advise to people. If the attorney is not paid for his/her time, they do not eat.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jun 03rd, 2011 at 2:31 PM
There are criminal defense attorneys who may be willing to work out a payment plan with you. There are different options that are available. You should at least seek an initial free consultation.

Answered on Jun 03rd, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Yes, check with local attorneys and I'm sure you will find a range of prices and experience. I would be happy to discuss with you.

MB
Michael J. Breczinski
  • 3.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
3.0/5.0
CV Notable
Answered on Jun 03rd, 2011 at 12:08 PM
Call around. What exactly is the charge? You can shop around just like you do for anything else. Do you have priors?

Answered on Jun 03rd, 2011 at 12:08 PM
I recommend a very affordable and experienced attorney such as myself. Client reviews are often the best indicator of a successful attorney. Visit my website and follow the link to the client reviews. These links will indicate many success stories from over 30 years of proven results.

Answered on Jun 03rd, 2011 at 12:00 PM
I understand your concern completely, but keep in mind that you can't have it both ways either. Private attorneys charge more for the simple reason that you mentioned about public defenders, so they don't have to take on as many cases and can devote the proper amount of time to your case. If it's a felony theft case and you plan on taking it to trial, expect at least a few thousand dollars $2-3,000 at least. Maybe more. Also keep in mind that in Michigan most court-appointed attorneys are also in private practice as well. Either ask around if anyone knows a good criminal attorney, google and do internet searches for sites that offer ratings and client testimonials. Check the Bar Association for their Attorney Referral List. Good luck.

• 4.9/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Jun 03rd, 2011 at 12:00 PM
Where is your case? I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me.

Answered on Jun 03rd, 2011 at 11:45 AM
My recommendation depends on where your charge occurred. Please feel free to give my office a call (free of charge) if we cannot help you I would be happy to refer you to someone who can.

Answered on Jun 03rd, 2011 at 11:40 AM
It is hard to have your cake and eat it too. You want the time and attention of a paid lawyer but you do not have the funds to pay. You are going to have to make a choice; get the money together or go with the public defender. In some counties there are modest means programs to hire private lawyers are reduced rates. Call the State Bar for a referral.

Answered on Jun 03rd, 2011 at 9:54 AM
The best way is to reach out to some attorneys who handle criminal defense, discuss your case with them, and get some quotes. I would recommend talking to 2 or 3 attorneys, or until you find one you like. Be wary of Attorneys who charge a very minimal fee, as they may not spend much more time on your case than what a public defender could offer...and may be equally as hard to get on the phone. Feel free to contact me about your case. I feel my rates are very affordable, and I am dedicated to the defense of my clients. No charge for the initial consultation.

Answered on Jun 03rd, 2011 at 9:51 AM
Contact your the agency that regulates attorneys in your state for recommendations. You can also look up attorneys profiles on a website called Avvo.