Does a parole violation mean automatic prison time in California?

Asked on Mar 03rd, 2011 on Criminal Law - California
If my friend is on parole and commits a crime of petty theft, does it mean that he will automatically be sent to prison for the parole?
Answered on Mar 04th, 2011 at 2:39 PM
No it does not. Give us a call.

• 5.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Mar 04th, 2011 at 2:12 PM
Nothing is automatic, but it is clearly a strong risk. Effective plea-bargaining, using whatever legal defenses, facts and sympathies there may be, could possibly keep you out of jail/prison, or at least dramatically reduce it, depending upon all the facts and evidence. Not exactly a do it yourself project in court for someone who does not know how to effectively represent himself against a professional prosecutor intending to convict you. If you don't know how to do these things effectively, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion, reduction or other decent outcome through plea bargain for you, or take it to trial. If serious about doing so, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help you use whatever defenses you may have. If you can't afford private counsel, you can apply for the Public Defender.

Answered on Mar 04th, 2011 at 2:09 PM
not necessarily but probably. They have Morrisey hearings and can sent him back to the joint for up to one year.