Can they still charge me if I pass a lie detector test?

Asked on Jan 09th, 2013 on Criminal Law - Western Australia
Someone stole money from my work and they think I did it because I had asked my boss for a pay advance and told him I needed help making my rent this month. I didn't steal it though, and I took a lie detector test at the police station and felt good about it afterword, but they are still threatening to press charges against me unless I confess and return the money. I didn't take it and I don't have any money to give them but I don' want to go to jail either.
Answered on May 28th, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Yes.

Answered on Jan 14th, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 4:37 PM
No, a lie detector test does not usually affect their ability to press charges. Keep in mind, that in order to send you to jail, a prosecutor needs to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you stole the money. If they only have suspicions because you needed money at some point, that is not going to be enough.

Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Lie detector tests are not reliable, hence, are not admissible in court. Hence, you could still be charged.

Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Yes. The test is purely an investigative tool.

Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:31 AM
You can still be charged if you pass the lie detector.

MB
Michael J. Breczinski
  • 3.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
3.0/5.0
CV Notable
Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Get a lawyer. They are trying to extort money from you when they can't prove a case this is illegal. Do not talk with any of them any more.

5.0/5.0
Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Passing a polygraph may influence whether charges are filed or not, but it will not prevent them. They need evidence, and it does not sound like they have any evidence - only suspicion. If I were you, I would not agree to any additional interviews, etc. You did what they asked and they need to leave you alone.

Jeff Fengcheng Yeh
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Lie-detector is not admissible in court, so of course they can still charge you.

Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Lie detector tests are a total sham. They're unreliable junk science and the results are generally inadmissible in court. Remember, OJ passed a polygraph. Police administer lie detectors if they believe that you might confess or get yourself caught in a lie. For some reason, people get intimidated when they're hooked up to the machines and they start spilling the beans. Long answer short, simply passing a polygraph will not guarantee that you will not be charged with the crime. Good luck.

John F. Brennan
  • 5.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
5.0/5.0
Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:28 AM
If you did not take the funds they should not be able to say you did! You will need to defend yourself. By the way, you did not mention if you "passed" or "failed" the polygraph.

4.4/5.0
Answered on Jan 10th, 2013 at 11:26 AM
You didn't tell me whether you passed the test, only that you "felt good about it afterwards". That is not the same. The results of a lie detector test may help, but the results are inadmissible in court. I would suggest that you retain an attorney who can review this case in detail and advise you accordingly.