Can my daughter stay with me in another state until her court date?

Asked on Jul 18th, 2011 on Criminal Law - Louisiana
More details to this question:
My daughter was arrested in Louisiana and is out due to my signing her $2000 bond guarantee to make sure she appears in court. Does she have to stay in Louisiana or can she come here and stay with me in Florida and return to Louisiana for her court date?
Report Abuse
Answered on Jul 11th, 2013 at 9:51 PM
You should first of all make sure to secure the services of a local criminal defense attorney to ensure that your case is being handled properly. While it should not necessarily be a problem for your daughter to leave the state with you pending her court date, you can ensure that this is the case by having your attorney file a Motion to Leave the Jurisdiction which, if approved, will grant you permission to take her out of the state with you until returning for her court date. If for some reason a judge determines that your daughter has violated the terms of her bonded release by leaving the state without this permission, you could potentially forfeit your bond and your daughter may have a warrant issued for her arrest.

Report Abuse

Ask a Lawyer

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question.

0 out of 150 characters