Can I go to jail for letting minors drink at my house?

Asked on May 06th, 2011 on Criminal Law - Michoacán
A few weeks ago I let my sister and her friends come to my house to drink so that wouldn't be out drinking and driving or get hurt. One of the girls has now said she was raped by a guy that was there. There is now an investigation going on, and was told that I could get in trouble for letting the minors be at my house drinking. I didnt provide that alcohol. Can I really go to jail for letting them be at my house?
Answered on Jun 11th, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Yes, you need to immediately hire a lawyer to represent you.

Answered on May 20th, 2011 at 11:43 AM
I would recommend that you retain an attorney to assist you with this matter. If the police contact you and ask you to discuss what happened, what you say could also be used against you if they decided to charge you with anything. If you are ever ultimately charged, you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. This response does not contain specific legal advice. If you would like specific legal advice for your particular circumstances, please consult directly with an attorney. Most attorneys provide free initial consultations. Speaking in general terms, assuming the prosecutor has enough evidence to bring the charges in good faith, adults who furnish alcohol to minors or adults who create an environment where minors are drinking could be charged with, a minimum, a misdemeanor such as contributing to the delinquency of minor, or other types of offenses. Anyone charged is presumed innocent until proven guilty. I would recommend you retain an attorney to assist with this matter.

5.0/5.0
Answered on May 11th, 2011 at 9:59 AM
You can be charged with Contributing To The Delinquencing of a Minor. That would be a Misdemeanor and probably would not require a jail sentence.

• 5.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on May 10th, 2011 at 10:46 AM
Yes, if charged with any of the crimes that conduct would fit. Youll learn the actual charge[s] filed against you if you are arrested, when you appear for arraignment at your first court hearing. What can you do? Hire an attorney, unless you know how to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor intending to convict. No amount of free 'tips and hints' from here or anywhere else are going to effectively help you in your defense, other than the advice to exercise the 5th Amendment right to not talk to anyone except an attorney about the case. Most police and prosecutors will happily tell you that 95% of people convict themselves by trying to be 'helpful and cooperative', either during initial contact, questioning, interview or interrogation. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on May 10th, 2011 at 10:09 AM
Absolutely. You will be adjudged completely negligent for serving minors alcohol. If they had committed a crime or got in to an accident as a result, you will be the *proximate cause* of their breaking any laws while been drunk from your house.

• 4.5/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on May 10th, 2011 at 9:54 AM
I would highly recommend contacting an attorney as soon as possible. Yes there is potential criminal liability and you need proper representation.

Answered on May 10th, 2011 at 9:47 AM
If you supplied the alcohol, you can get in trouble for giving alcohol to minors. I don't think you will be criminally responsible for crimes (rape) that may have occurred when these teens were drunk.

Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Yes, it is a misdemeanor and you could get sentenced up to six months. You should definitely talk to a lawyer before you talk to the police since this is serious. It could lead to civil liability as well.

5.0/5.0
Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 12:43 PM
Unfortunately, yes, you could be in a good deal of trouble in this case because of the severity of the charges of rape. It will depend upon a lot of things, but you have a serious matter on your hands that needs the attention of an experienced attorney to assist you. Consult with one right away. Good luck.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 12:04 PM
Yes you can be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 12:00 PM
The short answer is "yes." You can be criminally charged for allowing a minor to drink at your house. You could also be sued in a civil suit. Whether or not you provide the alcohol is not relevant. If you let it happen, you can be criminally or civilly responsible. You could go to jail and you could be forced to pay a civil judgment. I hope this was helpful.

5.0/5.0
Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Simple answer is yes. Providing alcohol to a minor is an arrestable offense.

Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 11:45 AM
You can be arrested and prosecuted for allowing minors to drink at your residence, whether you go to jail depends upon the disposition of the case.

Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 11:38 AM
Yes, providing alcohol to minors means that you could be charged with a misdemeanor and if brought as a class A you could be sentenced to jail. The scenario that you describe would be covered as you are allowing minors to consume alcohol, even though you did not purchase it. It is important that you not discuss the case with anyone other than a defense lawyer. Do not make a statement to the police.

Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 11:28 AM
Yes, you can go to jail. The charge would probably be contributing to the delinquency of minors.

Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 11:26 AM
Yes, It is called contributing to the delinquency of a minor. You cannot allow folks into your home to shoot porn, cook drugs, drink alcohol, and then protest that you did not know what was going on. I suspect you need an attorney. See my website.

Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 11:18 AM
Yes. You should contact an attorney right away. Please e-mail me directly.

Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 11:09 AM
You could go to jail theoretically for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. It is a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum of 90 days in jail and/or a $500 fine. Probation is also an option. If it is determined that an underage girl was assaulted at your place and they can prove that you were negligent somehow in permitting such activity, the parents could sue you civilly and hold your responsible as well. I would suggest retaining an experienced criminal attorney as soon as you are charged with anything.

Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 11:05 AM
Yes, and you might face possible civil financial liability, too. Consult an experienced, local Criminal Defense Attorney.

Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 10:42 AM
Without going into great detail- contributing to the delinquency of a minor; alcohol to minors; rape on your premises; etc.. This is serious. You need an attorney. Call me!

Answered on May 09th, 2011 at 10:20 AM
It is a very serious matter and you should participate in any investigation or say anything to anyone but your own hired attorney. I would be happy to discuss things with you.