Do I need to carry liability insurance if I sell furniture at an antique mall owned by another party?

Asked on Mar 15th, 2019 on Business Law - New York
I am in the process of starting an antique / furniture business. I want to be a vendor at one or more antique malls. My business counselor advised me to ask a lawyer.
Answered on Mar 18th, 2019 at 6:29 AM
If you are a tenant with your own space that you are working out of, you may need insurance.  However, if you are in one of those co-ops where your stuff is in a section and someone works the whole place, the landlord's insurance is probably sufficient for liability, i.e someone falling in your space on your stuff.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Mar 15th, 2019 at 10:50 AM
I don'tt think this is a legal question, but a business one.  However, it is probably academic becauseit is likely that the mall owners will require you to carry liability insurance as a condition of selling in their malls.  If you don't, you have to decide whether the risk of laibility for an accident (one of your antiques breaks and hurts someone, one of your workers backs over someone's foot while moving merchandise, an antique magnifying glass you're selling catches the sun and starts a fire, etc., etc.) is greater than the cost of the insurance.