Will my filing bankruptcy affect my fiance?

Asked on Apr 20th, 2011 on Bankruptcy - California
Will my filing bankruptcy affect my fiance if the judgment date is after our wedding date?
Answered on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 5:13 PM
If you get married before filing, your spouse's income will likely be included to determine whether you qualify for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy and, if not, how much you can afford to pay in a Chapter 13 plan.

Answered on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 2:11 PM
The separate debt of the one spouse incurred before marriage is not owed by the new spouse. Here is how the judgment would affect the new spouse in the future. When there is a joint application for credit the two credit reports are "married" and husband's bankruptcy will show on the joint credit report. This would not be the case if only wife applies for credit in her own name.

• 4.5/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 2:05 PM
Only in that if you have a joint account all the money in the account can be levied.

Answered on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 1:45 PM
If by judgment date you mean the final disposition of the bankruptcy, then no, it will not directly affect your fianc. Go see a qualified bankruptcy attorney in your area situations like this (mixing bankruptcy and family law) can get messy, and you need to make sure you understand all of the angles for your particular state. Good luck.

Mr. Eric C. Lewis
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 10:57 AM
Bankruptcy does not affect a fiance or spouse's credit.

jr
judith runyon
  • 4.9/5.0
  • 100%
  • 1
4.9/5.0
100%
6 client reviews
Answered on Apr 21st, 2011 at 5:53 PM
No it will not.