Is refiling for bankruptcy my best option after filing behind in a Chapter 13?

Asked on Dec 01st, 2010 on Bankruptcy - New York
Being dismissed from chapter 13 bankruptcy, I fell behind because of lack of work, tried to get a modification but did not qualify. Is refilling my best option?
  • 3.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Dec 02nd, 2010 at 3:28 PM
You may refile, but several provisions apply: 1. You may not refile for 180 days after your case has been dismissed. [Sec. 109(g)] 2. The automatic stay provisions are good for only 30 days after you refile the first time within 1 year of the dismissal. If you refile twice, there is no automatic stay. [Sec. 362(c)(3)]

Answered on Dec 02nd, 2010 at 7:43 AM
Your ability to re-file depends on the dismissal. It is possible that re-filing is your best option, but it depends on more details of your case that were not provided.

peer reviews not shown
not shown
client reviews
Answered on Dec 01st, 2010 at 6:58 PM
It is hard to say whether refilling another Chapter 13 or Chapter 7 is the best solution to having your Chapter 13 dismissed. I would be concerned that a second Chapter 13 plan would not be approved if your first Chapter 13 cannot be appropriately modified. Oftentimes the best option for a Chapter 13 being dismissed is to convert it to a Chapter 7 which will avoid most of the expense of filing a second petition. Since you fell behind in your Chapter 13 plan due to unemployment, you might now qualify for the Chapter 7 under the means test while you might not have qualified while you had your previous employment.