How can I en cash a ten year old check?

Asked on Mar 05th, 2013 on Bankruptcy - Delaware
I have a refund check issued 10 years ago, which I have not cashed. The company is still in business. Is there a way to cash it?
Answered on Mar 06th, 2013 at 2:06 PM
No doubt the bank will not honor the check, but if the company owed you the money back then, it can't hurt to contact the company now and ask to exchange the old check for a new one.

Answered on Mar 06th, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Generally a bank will not cash a 'stale' check. Contact the issuer of the check and ask them to write you a new one. They will likely ask you to return the ten-year-old one.

Answered on Mar 06th, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Contact the issuing company and ask them to re-issue the check.

Erven T. Nelson
  • 4.4/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Mar 06th, 2013 at 2:04 PM
The check is stale. You need to contact the company and ask it to reissue the check.

WS
William A. Siebert
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Mar 06th, 2013 at 3:20 AM
The check cannot be cashed, but it is still a debt of the company. You can present it to the company and get a new check.

Answered on Mar 06th, 2013 at 3:00 AM
How can I en cash a ten year old check? You can't. Question Detail: I have a refund check issued 10 years ago, which I have not cashed. The company is still in business. Is there a way to cash it? You should take the old check into the company and have them re-issue the check.

• 0/5.0
  • 0
0 recommendation
1 client review
Answered on Mar 06th, 2013 at 2:55 AM
Checks become stale after 6 months. Contact the company that issued the check to ask them to reissue a current check.

Answered on Mar 06th, 2013 at 2:48 AM
The bank will reject it. I am sure that the company has issued stop payment on it due to it's age. You should contact the company and ask for a new check.

Answered on Mar 06th, 2013 at 2:44 AM
I think you will have to ask company to replace old check with current check. You could present it to your bank or better still, to the issuing bank, but I doubt a check that old would be honored.

Answered on Mar 06th, 2013 at 2:41 AM
No, you need to have it replaced by the company.

John F. Brennan
  • 5.0/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
5.0/5.0
Answered on Mar 06th, 2013 at 2:41 AM
Submit it to the company and ask for a reissue, the worst they can respond is no.