Can I file for bankruptcy?

Asked on Mar 12th, 2011 on Bankruptcy - California
Can I file bankruptcy? I am disabled and receiving receiving disability and Social Security income. I am not getting enough money to pay my debts. What should I do ?
Answered on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:37 AM
Anyone can file bankruptcy. It's just a matter of under which chapter they are permitted to file and whether they will, in the end, receive a discharge of all their debts. However, SSI and SSDI is generally not subject to garnishment and thus filing bankruptcy may not be absolutely necessary. But a conversation with a qualified lawyer may be a good idea. Most initial conversations are free.

Mr. Eric C. Lewis
  • 0/5.0
  • 0
Answered on Mar 16th, 2011 at 1:28 PM
You should consult a bankruptcy attorney in your area for guidance. Bankruptcy is complex and works in many different ways for people with differing debts, differing income and different assets.

Answered on Mar 14th, 2011 at 5:07 PM
The best way to see if bankruptcy is the best option for you is to get a free consultation with a Certified Bankruptcy Law Specialist. I will be happy to do this for you. Call me.

• 4.5/5.0
  • 0
  • 1
Answered on Mar 14th, 2011 at 1:09 PM
Assuming that the value of your property is not too much (and you need to consult with a lawyer on this), it sounds like a Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing might be what you need to wipe out your debts. Although you might be judgment proof because of low income and no property that can be taken, many senior citizens want peace and don't care much for credit. Therefore, bankruptcy might be what you need to stop the calls, letters and lawsuits that will eventually arrive if you do not pay. Make sure you have an office consultation with a local bankruptcy lawyer. It is usually a free initial office consultation so that you can have all the information you need to decide what is best for you in your particular situation.

Answered on Mar 14th, 2011 at 1:01 PM
You many qualify for filing for a chapter 7 bankruptcy, depending upon how much you receive each month. Please contact me for a free consultation.