Areas of Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Practice
- Communications Law
- Criminal Law - Defense
- Dispute Resolution
- Health & Hospital Law
- Litigation - General Civil Practice
- Litigation - Commercial
Overall Peer Ratingin White Collar Crime, Criminal Law and Litigation4.9 out of 5.0Legal Knowledge5.0Analytical Capabilities5.0Judgement4.8Communication Ability4.8Legal Experience5.0
No feedback is available.The individuals that have reviewed this lawyer have not provided any additional feedback.
- Meets very high criteria of general ethical standards
Experience & CredentialsPositionMemberAdmission DetailsAdmitted in 1988, Mississippi
U.S. District Courts, Mississippi: Northern and Southern Districts, Tennessee: Western District
U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit, 2nd Circuit
U.S. Supreme CourtLaw School AttendedMississippi College
Class of 1987
J.D.University AttendedMillsaps College
Class of 1983
Political Science, summa cum laudeBar FellowshipAmerican Bar Foundation
· American Bar Association
- Criminal Justice Section
-- Southeast Region Co-Chair, White Collar Crime Committee
- Health Law Section
-- Vice-Chair, Healthcare Fraud and Compliance Interest Group
· American Health Law Association
- Panel Arbitrator, Labor and Employment Law; Medical Malpractice; Medicare/Medicaid Reimbursement; Medicare/Medicaid Regulatory
- Fraud and Abuse, Self-Referrals and False Claims Practice Group
· Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
· Christian Legal Society
· National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
· Federal Bar Association
· Mississippi Bar
- Health Law Section
-- Executive Committee
- Policy Review and Coordination Committee
- Teleconference Committee
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- Workers' Compensation Section
· Tennessee Bar Association
- Health Care Law Section
· Lead prosecutor in 13-week health care fraud trial involving the first criminal prosecution under HIPAA criminal health care fraud statutes (trial resulted in convictions of both owners of an ambulance company for conspiracy to commit health care fraud).
· Lead prosecutor in complex mail fraud/money laundering trial involving insider in national cable television company embezzling funds from company in conspiracy with local advertising agency and local bank president.
· Lead prosecutor in complex public corruption trial of former County Tax Assessor/Tax Collector convicted of embezzlement and bankruptcy fraud.
· Lead prosecutor in health care fraud investigation which resulted in closing of psychiatric hospital and recovery of over $600,000 for Medicare Trust Fund.
· Prosecuted first case in the nation charging health care embezzlement crime under provisions of 18 U.S.C. § 669 based upon embezzlement from physician practice group by office administrator.
· Lead asset forfeiture attorney responsible for seizure of funds involved in investor fraud case (Ponzi scheme) which resulted in return of over $2 million to defrauded investors.
· Lead civil attorney responsible for negotiating settlement with national hospital chain of claims related to Medicare Prospective Payor System, resulting in recovery of over $8 million for Medicare Trust Fund.
· Coordinated and directed more than 100 health care fraud investigations over a 10-year period resulting in recoveries for the Medicare Trust Fund of over $35 million.
· Represented National Park Service and successfully defended National Environmental Policy Act case challenging results of Environmental Impact Statement.
· Successfully defended EPA's decision not to register unproven insecticide.
· Numerous appeals argued successfully at Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals (several reported decisions).
Papers, Presentations & Publications
· "Health Care Reform Changes to Federal Health Care Fraud Law," Federal Practice and Procedure Seminar, University of Mississippi Center for CLE, June 2010.
· "FERA Amendments to the False Claims Act," part of "Hot Topics in Healthcare" sponsored by the United States Attorney's Office for the Western District of Tennessee, November 2009.
· Co-Author, "An Eye on Revising the FCA" , Law360, January 23, 2009.
· "Happy Birthday, HIPAA," a five-year look back at HIPAA privacy regulation which became effective April 2003, Healthcare Law Seminar, University of Mississippi, August 2008.
· "Federal Grand Jury Practice," Mississippi College School of Law CLE Mini Marathon, August 2008.
· "Monitoring the Monitors," Law360, October 2010.
· "The Feds Are Here: What Do We Do Now," Pro Te: Solutio, Vol. 1 No. 1, 6-10 (January 2008).
· Co-Author, "Safeguarding the Boardroom against Potential Criminal Liability," Pro Te: Solutio, Vol. 2 No. 2, 6-11 (April 2009).